University Mail Services provides distribution, collection, and processing of the University Intra-campus and USPS mail, which relates to the official business of the university. Official materials are those dealing with some aspect of university operations, which can be defined as being essential to the activities of the institution as differentiated from private business or personal mail. In this context, the campus mail system, as part of the university's facilities, is a restricted service. It is not available for the personal use of university employees nor for the personal use, private gain, or use by non-university groups for the advertisement of programs or political endorsements not sponsored by the university.
"Personal mail" is defined as any mail not related to Rutgers or your position at Rutgers, such as utility bills, credit card, bank accounts,
and packages not related to Rutgers, and periodicals not related to your position. University Mail Services requests that all faculty and staff receive their personal mail at home or at a permanent address. Occasional correspondence from friends and/or colleagues is acceptable. Your Rutgers mailing address should never be given as your permanent address unless you live on campus.
To ensure delivery in a timely manner, please use intra-campus or Rutgers' envelopes. Folded documents that are stapled or taped, or placed in a regular envelope are acceptable, provided University Mail Services can easily discern who the sender (originator) is.
A. Mass Mailings to Students:
Mailings directed to Students require the use of address format noted in the "addressing mail" section of this website. Departments and/or Organizations may not "blanket" the student mail boxes.
B. Mass Mailings to Faculty/Staff:
Mailings directed to specific faculty or staff requires the use of the address format noted in the "Addressing Mail" section of this website. Other options to distribute information to faculty/staff are:
- Sending one flyer to each department to post
- Sending a bundle of flyers to each department to distribute
- E-mail or department web site
Services are available to:
- Currently employed administrators, faculty and staff
- Adjunct and Emeriti Professors
- Students and student organizations registered with Student Services
Examples of misuse of campus mail include the attempted distribution of:
- Chain letters, hate mail, mail with obscene content
- Letters to gain personal profit (ex. pyramid schemes)
- On/off campus political endorsements
- In general other correspondence that is not official university business
- Minimum mail-piece size: 3½" x 5"
- Maximum size/weight: storage box dimensions weighing less than 25 lbs
Each Dean, Director or Department Head is responsible for determining if mass materials to be addressed, and/or distributed by the University Mail Services relate to official business of the university. When questions occur concerning such determination, the matter must be referred to the next level of university administration (Dean, Director, Vice President, etc.).